From your favourite cupcake to college perfect essay help – internet has made it easier for us to access all the commodities without leaving the house. Quite evidently, having an online presence offers businesses (especially the small ones) an unprecedented advantage, and businesses are aware of it. 92% of business owners believe that having a website is the most effective digital strategy in 2019.
If you are running a small business, and still don’t have a website, it is time to have one. While you can find professional web designers for the job, here are a few things that you need to keep in mind while building a website.
1. Pick a catchy domain name:
The domain name is the entry point to your site. So, it is important to ensure that it has a nice ring to it. It contributes to your website’s recall value. Moreover, if your domain name can make a good impression, it can have a positive impact on SEO. Here’s what you can do to generate an effective domain name for your website:
• Keep the domain name as short as possible. Shorter names are generally easy to remember.
• Use a name that is easy to spell. Refrain from using slang or esoteric words.
• For a business website, it is ideal to use a “.com” domain extension. However, if the website requires, you may select “.net,” “.gov”, “.edu”, or “.org”.
• Don’t use unnecessary numbers and hyphens on the domain name. Word-only domains are always a better choice.
• Try to come up with a domain name that is easy to remember. Catchy name sticks on people’s mind, offering a recall value.
• Make sure your domain name is unique. You can look up the Google search engine and see if there’s any website with a similar domain name already.
• For better SEO, try to include keywords and geo-location in the domain name. For example: “Uaevatexpert.ae” has both.
• Don’t pick silly names that convey anything about your business. Google and Yahoo may be big companies now, but your small company cannot afford to spend as much as these companies have spent to brand their businesses.
I know it is a lot to remember. But we are just getting started. Keep reading to find out other crucial elements that can help you build a great website for your small business.
2. Get started with a plan:
When you have acquired a suitable domain name that fulfills all the elements we discussed previously, it is time to plan your website. That’s right. You need to plan before you design the website if you are serious about your business. And for effective planning, you need to find out the answers to these following questions:
• What does your potential customer need? – Understand your buyer’s journey
• What pages a potential customer is likely to view?
• What kind of content you want to present to your visitors?
As you can guess, the data you gather in this step will help you understand your potential customers, and how you can nurture them through the sales funnel so that they can turn into loyal customers. Once you have the necessary details, plan the website design accordingly.
3. Avoid keeping certain elements on your website:
While it is important to plan what elements should go on the website, you also need to keep a list of things that you must not add to your website. These elements that I’m going to name may not only affect the appearance of the website but may also bring down its effectiveness.
• Generic stock images
• Complicated animations
• Extremely long pieces of content
• Jargons and ambiguous terminology
• Generic words that every other website uses
You need to understand that the current generation of users has an attention span similar to a goldfish. If you want them to stick around, you need to put your message across within the first few seconds. Use photographs that are relevant to the section of the website and complement with powerful content that are sectioned off by clear and concise headers.
4. Add social share and follow buttons:
Let’s assume you have created an impressive website with engaging content. However, if your website does not allow the users to share its content with others, it may not deliver the results that you are expecting. You need social sharing buttons on the website so that the users can share your content on social media platforms. This will help draw traffic to your website from social media.
Here are a few reasons why social share and follow buttons are a must:
• Social buttons can increase the organic traffic which can further boost your SEO rankings.
• Social share buttons help reach new prospects, as your existing users share the content on their social media accounts.
• Also, social share buttons offer more exposure to your small business as more people share your content.
Moreover, the social share buttons encourage people to share interesting content directly on social media platforms without being pushy, which makes this feature even more crucial.
5. Add calls-to-action:
Consumers are smart – there’s no doubt about it. But even smart people need to be told what to do. When they visit a new website, clear instructions help them understand how to use the website properly. That’s where the calls-to-action (CTA) comes into the scene.
Calls-to-action buttons are one of the several elements that let the user know what steps they should take. You need to use these CTA buttons to guide users through your website. Here are some examples of powerful CTAs which you can use on your website.
• Click here for more information
• Download our eBook
• Sign up for a webinar
• Check out the price
• Subscribe to our newsletter
Proper placement of CTA buttons boosts engagement on your website. For small businesses, more engagements mean more business.
6. Optimise for mobile:
In a world, where the mobile devices account for almost half (48.91 per cent) of web traffic worldwide, it becomes important for every small business websites to be mobile-friendly. Google also gives priority to those websites which are optimised for mobile devices. There are several ways to optimise your website for mobile devices.
• Use a responsive WordPress theme
• Select a reliable web host for your site
• Boost the website’s loading time
• Enable Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)
• Use plugins like Smush which can optimise the images on the site
Responsive and faster websites always have the advantage of drawing more traffic towards them. Besides, it is also important to note what the latest Google algorithm updates are about, and act accordingly.
Apart from all the aforementioned hacks, you also need to makes sure that the visual elements you use for the site are relevant, there’s proper navigation that guides the visitors through the site, and there’s enough white space. With a bit of hard work and such effective tricks, you can create a great website that can take your small business to the next level.
Author bio: William Shell a Writer and Enthusiastic blogger. He is also associated with a reputed company for the past couple of years. Here, he delivers strategic assignment help to students on their requests.